In Memory of the Founders

 

Alfred H. Fergerson, Founder

Alfred H. Fergerson

Alfred H. Fergerson, 77, of North Syracuse died January 29, 1999 after a long illness at the Syracuse Veteran’s Administration Hospital. He was a native and life resident of North Syracuse.

Mr. Fergerson was a 5th generation member of the "Pioneering Fergersons" a family who were among the first settlers in North Syracuse. His home and business are on the same family land the Fergersons have held since 1826. Originally from Scotland, they were farmers who came to Central New York from Washington County. They had extensive property that was developed over the years into the populated community of today. Fergerson Parkway, Fergerson Avenue, Fergerson Road are among several area roadways named in honor of the family.

He was a licensed Funeral Director, founding in 1948 the Fergerson Funeral Home of North Syracuse. He was the current Vice-President. He also operated Fergerson Ambulance & Invalid Coach Service from 1948 until 1978. He is a member of the N.Y.S., National, and Onondaga and Oswego Funeral Directors Associations. He was a life member of Edwards Weavers V.F.W. Post No. 7290 and was a member of the North Syracuse Chamber of Commerce. He was a 3rd Degree Mason and a member of Centerville Lodge No. 648 F&AM of North Syracuse.

He graduated from the North Syracuse High School in 1938. He earned his A.A. degree in from Morrisville College in 1941, and graduated from Simmons Institute of Funeral Service in 1946. He was the 118th person to be licensed in New York State as a Funeral Director. Prior to his licensure, funeral service personnel were either "embalmers" or "undertakers". Embalmers could only embalm, undertakers could only conduct funerals. Funeral directors are trained and licensed to do both.

Al enlisted with the Coast Guard as an apprentice seaman on May 13, 1942 in Buffalo, New York. He served on several vessels during WWII. One of his prized possessions was his sea bag. On it is a list of each station he made, beginning with Panama. Guam, Leyte, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, IeShima, Nagasaki and Saipan follow. His stories of the war included being among the first Americans to visit after the atomic bomb drop at Nagasaki and that he was a part of the team of machinists who manufactured the flag pole made famous by the Marines at Iwo Jima. He served 3 years 7 months and 7 days, being discharged as a Motor Machinist’s Mate, 3rd Class, December 19th 1945 from the Detroit, Michigan Coast Guard Separation Center.

Mr. Fergerson was an avid golfer (often playing 36 holes a day) and was a member of the Elm’s Golf Club. He was active in several of their leagues. He made a hole in one on August 22, 1982. He maintained a summer home on Sandy Pond near the first tee-off of the Elms Course.

He was predeceased by his wife of 52 years the former Myrna Balsley who died June 18th, 1996 and a daughter Lynda J. Fergerson who died in January 18th 1993.

He was survived by:

            Two sons:     Alfred E. (Fred) of North Syracuse 

                                 James C. (Jim) of Poland, Maine

            Two sisters:   Esther Galloway of Binghamton

                                 Louise Pratt of Fort Pierce, FL

            Two grandchildren:

                                Alfred W. (Bill) and Victoria A. (Vicky) Fergerson

                                both of No. Syracuse

                                and several nieces and nephews and cousins

Funeral services were at the Fergerson Funeral Home, Rev. Bruce S. Barden, Pastor of Andrews United Methodist Church officiated. Burial was in North Syracuse Cemetery. Centerville Lodge conducted services during the evening calling hours.

AL'S MILITARY SERVICE AS RECORDED IN THE NATIONAL WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL ARCHIVES


Al and Myrna's Gravestone behind the funeral home


Myrna B. Fergerson, RN

Myrna B. Fergerson

Myrna B. Fergerson, 74, of North Syracuse died June 18, 1996 after a long illness at the Syracuse Veteran’s Administration Hospital. She was a native and life resident of North Syracuse.

She graduated from North Syracuse High in 1939 then entered St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing where she graduated as a Registered Nurse in 1943. She enlisted in the Army Nurse Corps Basic Training at Camp Swift, Texas on her 23rd birthday, March 12, 1945. She and five other nurses from St. Joseph’s enlisted to help the war effort. She served 8 months and 3 days, being discharged November 14, 1945 as a 2nd Lieutenant.

After the war, she and her husband Alfred, began and operated the Fergerson Funeral Home and Fergerson Ambulance Service of North Syracuse until their retirement in 1980. The land they chose to build their business on had been in the Fergerson family since 1826. Originally from Scotland, they were farmers who came to Central New York from downstate, Washington County. They had extensive property that was developed over the years into the populated community of today. Fergerson Parkway, Fergerson Avenue, Fergerson Road are among several area roadways named in honor of the family.

She also worked as a nurse for several Hospitals in the area and for Doctors John Hewitt and Hubert Garnsey. Additionally she served as school nurse for the North Syracuse and Phoenix School Districts.

Mrs. Fergerson was an avid golfer (often playing 36 holes a day!) and was a member of the Elm’s Golf Club and was active in several of their leagues. She and her husband maintained a summer home on Sandy Pond near the first tee-off of the Elms course. She was also a life member of the Centerville Chapter No. 185 Order of Eastern Star of North Syracuse. The Fergersons spent winters at their home in New Smynra Beach, Florida. She was predeceased by a daughter Lynda J. Fergerson who also died on the 18th but of January 1993.

She is survived by her husband of 52 years Alfred H. (Al) Fergerson

        Two sons:         Alfred E. (Fred) of North Syracuse

                                James C. (Jim) of Poland, Maine

        Two grandchildren:

                                 Alfred W. (Bill) and Victoria A. (Vicky) Fergerson

                                 both of North Syracuse

                                 and several nieces and nephews

Funeral services were at the Fergerson Funeral Home, Rev. Bruce S. Barden, Pastor of Andrews United Methodist Church officiated. Burial was in North Syracuse Cemetery. Centerville Chapter No. 185 Order of Eastern Star conducted services at afternoon calling hours.

 

MYRNA'S MILITARY SERVICE AS RECORDED IN THE NATIONAL WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL ARCHIVES